Saturday 17 January 2009

7. Andrea

Democracy is a challenge. In Switzerland, we the people are asked to vote on diverse issues several times a year, and the next batch of propositions includes - among other things - an initiative that proposes to place the Patumbah park under protection. This park was created in 1890/91 by Evariste Mertens, and commissioned - tunnel and all - by the owners of the Villa Patumbah, in order to cover the new railroad that was being planned just in front of their home. The issue is somewhat complicated, since the estate has been subdivided for many years, and preventing the rightful owner of one half of the land from developing it creates a legally uncomfortable situation. I had never been to Patumbah, and realized that I did not know enough about the matter to cast a well-informed vote; I needed to see the park with my own eyes.

I met Andrea at the lower entrance to the park. He was walking his dog, taking a break from cramming for his end-of-term exams, and assented without hesitation when I asked if I could take his portrait. My first impression of him was that of an open, serious and trusting character - a perception that intensified during the ensuing frank exchange of ideas. I took 37 photographs while we were talking; the one I have selected shows his relaxed expressiveness quite well.

Later on I had the pleasure of running into a small group of supporters of the initiative, and by joining them and listening to their stories learned much about the park's history. This experience caused me to re-read the official documents - and ultimately to change my opinion: I have come to believe that it is worth trying once more to save Patumbah in its entirety, regardless of the obvious difficulties.

Things to remember:
Democracy only works well, when our votes are well-informed and our decisions deliberate.

Andrea: I wish you all the best for your exams, and for your future - senza rimorsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment