Thursday 22 January 2009

12. Oli4

Sometimes - and today it happened twice in a row - people will tell me that they can't or won't accept my invitation for a chat, but thank me for asking. Most of the time it is a matter of catching a train or having some other prior engagement, occasionally the blogging context, that keeps them from participating, and so I have no reason to doubt their sincerity. I have no way of knowing what exactly happens in their minds, but I imagine that they experience a moment's feeling of unlooked-for importance. What a wonderful thought - that I should be able to make these people's days just that little bit brighter!

When I met Oli4, he was one of the few people standing outside in the cold winter night, just finishing a can of beer and simply passing the time until he was to meet up with his date. He joined me for a drink in a café just across the road, where we talked about the intricacies of relationships and the time and effort required to entertain two circles of friends. But mostly we talked about sports - about the ice hockey team of which Oli4 is an avid fan, and about how a victory that would have been truly sensational had been snatched from their gloves in the last minute of yesterday's match.

I tried to find a balance between taking many pictures (and getting a good one by sheer luck), and ensuring Oli4 felt at ease. Of the resulting 16 photographs, 5 made it into the final selection. The one I eventually chose strikes a compromise between technical qualities (it's slightly blurred and has a bit of an uncontrolled slant), artistic expression, and character expression.

Oli4, thank you for your trust and your company - enjoy being young!

I just can't resist coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment