Wednesday 28 January 2009

18. Gidi

Due to today's full schedule, I had my cello with me when I went out to meet a stranger tonight. I had expected people's reactions to be considerably different: being approached by a camera-wielding stranger is weird enough, but I would have expected a cello case on my back to give the situation a distinctly surreal character. As it turned out, there was no perceivable change in people's attitudes; if anything, I must have looked even more harmless.

It was getting late - nearly to the point where meeting a stranger would have made me late for rehearsal - when I met Gidi. He listened to all of my pitch, and without apparent hesitation agreed to go for a drink with me. Having grown up in the french part of switzerland, his german was much better than my french, and so our conversation was held predominantly in german. Gidi was a good listener, asking just the right questions in the right moment, and at the same time he was unafraid to talk about himself. Later on, we walked to the train station together; and once again I realize that the trust and depth of our conversation grew as we were walking.

I took 16 pictures while we were talking, and have selected one that was taken near the middle of our time in Café Zähringer. It shows Gidi from his thoughtful and calm side.

Gidi: thanks for your time and your interest - and all the best with your studies and your travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment