Thursday 29 January 2009

19. Lara

There are days when people only seem to move in packs (and while it is possible for me to approach groups, it is much harder to form a relationship and take portrait photos if my focus of attention is divided). Today was one of those days, and what's more the few solitary passers-by were all on their way to meet up with friends and form a flock. I had already given up hope and experimented on a self-portrait, when I decided to ask one more person.

That person turned out to be Lara. She was sitting on a bench at a nearby tram-stop, and reading a book. When I explained about Meet a Stranger a Day, she was genuinely interested, but since it was late and she was on her way home, and it was cold and trams come in 15 minute intervals at this time of the night, she was reluctant to miss the one which was just pulling in. We decided that I could take the tram to the end of the line with her and barely made it in the doors in time.

The ensuing chat was short - we arrived all too soon at the terminus. But in the little time that we had, we managed to gain a good overview over each others personality. Whether it is in a pub or outside, there is always a sense of being watched when I start taking pictures of my vis-à-vis; but in the tram I had much more of a feeling of playing for an audience - which might have kept us from delving into deeper topics even had there been more time.

I took eight pictures, in which Lara shows a lively and humorous set of expressions; the one I've selected best captures her wonderful laugh.

Lara: thanks for your spontaneity and cheerful attitude - you've saved tonight's post!

No comments:

Post a Comment