Tuesday 20 January 2009

10. Laura

Today marks the tenth dieiversary of Meet a Stranger a Day - time for a pat on the back and some introspection: how do I deal with rejection? The day started quite hopeful and people were politely interested, but at 9 in the evening, after walking through the city for two hours, I had still not made today's acquaintance. The reason, besides those who simply did not have time, was predominantly the thought of being published on the internet. Nearly 20 people had declined to meet with me; most of them wished me luck, a few seemed very peeved indeed about being spoken to. What carried me through was threefold. First: the knowledge that on the previous nine days, I had always prevailed in the end - and that, even if I would return empty-handed, at least there would be much to write about. Second: I was not going to give up today of all days - I was going to earn my second digit! And third: even though none of them had resulted in a portrait, some of our brief encounters had contained moments of that delectable human communication that is the essence of meeting a stranger.

I met Laura in the old town near the local fitness center, where she had just been for a workout. When I had explained my project to her, there was a moment where it could have gone either way - but to my surprise she accepted. We went into a nearby café where, initially, we both talked mostly about ourselves, outlining our respective places in life. But soon we were talking about more personal things, and Laura began asking me in-depth about Meet a Stranger a Day. With her intelligent questions she quickly revealed one characteristic of this project that I had not fully realized: I try not to give away too much about my vis-à-vis, and in consequence write primarily about myself.

Conditions in the café were somewhat difficult, which is why I took a new record of 53 pictures. Even so it was difficult to choose a photograph; ultimately I decided to favor character over technical perfection. Both composition and lighting in the selected photo are lacking - but it does show Laura's curiosity, amiable directness and confidence.

Laura: you've made my day - thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment