Monday 26 January 2009

16. Francesca

Talking to a stranger can be liberating - the likelihood of meeting again by chance is so small, that issues you would be embarrassed to share with your colleagues may lose their taboo. This fact is particularly pronounced when travelers meet, two people on their way to somewhere else, sharing a moment's confidence.

When I approached Francesca, she was on her way home from a literary reading, waiting for her tram and looking at the local confectionery's display. She seemed intrigued by the idea of Meet a Stranger a Day, and when I had explained the project in more detail she accepted my invitation to a cup of hot chocolate. We walked the rest of the way to Zurich's most ornate and flowery café, and had a long and interesting conversation; she told me about her travels and we philosophized on the nature of conversations between strangers. I was intrigued by Francesca's animated past, and by the serene optimism with which she was looking toward her future.

During our chat I took 23 pictures. Francesca showed many facets of her personality; the photo above shows that thoughtful confidence that in my eyes stands for the essence of her character.

Francesca: thanks for your insights and your acute questions, and all the best for your studies!

No comments:

Post a Comment