Friday 16 January 2009

6. Ashanty & Vero

One of the things I've been wanting to try out, is how the dynamics of my daily adventure change if I approach a group of people instead of just one person. I had a chance to find out right at the beginning of my lunch break: just as I climbed the steps that lead through a park overlooking the city, Ashanty and Vero were taking possession of a bench. They were bubbling with laughter when I asked them for a bit of their time, and immediately agreed to play along. What struck me as the most prominent difference to my previous experiences, was that while I was welcome to participate, they did not need me to drive or shape the conversation.

There were giggles and laughter throughout the twenty minutes of our chat, but both Vero and Ashanty also displayed a more serious side, particularly when talking about the relatively pronounced protective armor of reservedness that people in our region of the world seem to have sometimes - and which stand in stark contrast with Vero's experiences in Spain, where the exchange of ideas between strangers is perfectly usual.

One difficulty in dealing with more than one vis-à-vis I had not anticipated: when taking pictures, keeping up with one spirited person is already a challenge. Even more so with two of them! I took 36 photographs, none of which do the two vibrant personalities justice. The one I've selected captures some of their good-natured laughter I enjoyed so much.

What I need to learn:
Composition, composition, composition. Check all four edges for crop, cruft and clearance.

Ashanty and Vero, thank you both for your time, your laughter and your insights. I wish you both all the best!

1 comment:

  1. Fein beobachtet, mit viel Sympathie fürs Gegenüber, bin gespannt auf die Fortsetzung!

    ReplyDelete