Monday 2 February 2009

23. Susan

When I approach a stranger, part of my pitch is a time-estimate; I ask for about 15 minutes of their time, and if they can spare a little less I happily make do. Every once in a while however, if my vis-à-vis and I both have more time and conversation flows easily, 15 minutes become 90 and a chat becomes a dialogue. Tonight's encounter with Susan was one of these cases.

I approached Susan as she was walking towards a nearby cinema; she had spontaneously decided to watch a movie, but her film of choice was sold out and so she had been put on the waiting-list and told to check back shortly before the show. I accompanied her to the entrance, and was delighted when she chose to join me for a glass of wine rather than take the last seat in a packed cinema.

I took 17 pictures; her liveliness and expressiveness, together with the longish exposure due to low lighting, made taking her portrait a challenge. But the last one manages to capture her pensive and gentle side quite well.

Susan: thanks very much for the fascinating and insightful conversation - and may you enjoy the anticipation as much as your actual travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment